Thank you for adding your voice to the call for more Indigenous ranger jobs and more Indigenous Protected Areas for the long term.
Together, more than 100 000 of us have had a huge influence. In 2020-21 alone:
- the federal government committed signed 7-year Indigenous ranger contracts;
- the Australian Labor Party has recommitted to doubling Indigenous ranger jobs nationally;
- the WA government has committed to $50 million for Indigenous rangers;
- the NT government committed $12 million for Indigenous rangers;
- the Queensland Government has announced 100 new Indigenous ranger jobs;
- plus Indigenous rangers have been in the media, at Parliament and all over social media.
But we need to do more. Despite promises from the government, funding for Indigenous Protected Areas and Indigenous rangers is due to expire in June 2018. We need them to follow through with signed contracts to deliver on those promises. We need funding certainty for the long term, and the government needs to invest in nature and invest in people by growing Indigenous ranger jobs and Indigenous Protected Areas further.
There's more you can do:
We'll be in touch occasionally with updates and further actions you can take to support the campaign (you can always unsubscribe or contact us at the above address if you don't want to receive updates). Thanks again!
PS. the Country Needs People campaign is completely non-partisan - we reckon all sides of politics should get behind success and support more Indigenous rangers and Indigenous Protected Areas for the long term.